Tax Deductions

10 common tax deductions for care workers 

Care and support workers on average claim over $3,127 in tax deductions in their tax return according to data published by the ATO.

For care workers earning between $40,000 to $90,000 per year these deductions can provide a tax refund of up to $1,078

Many care workers may miss out though because they do not understand what dedications they may be entitled to claim. 

To help care and support workers with their tax return this year, Airtax has created this essential checklist of 10 tax deductions that care workers commonly claim.

1. Car Expenses

Care and support workers may drive their car for work and will be able to claim a car expense deduction.

Whilst you cannot claim trips between your home and work, you may claim trips between one place of work to another. For example, going from one client’s house to visit another client.

2. Travel

In addition to car expenses, care workers may have other travel expenses. These may include tolls, public transport or food. 

Whilst travelling between home to work cannot be claimed, travel from one client to another client or with a client for activities such as an excursion, may be able to be claimed.

Whilst you cannot claim the cost of your regular meals that you have whilst at work, if you are having a meal with your client you may be able to claim the cost of the food and drinks you have together.

3. Clothing

Care workers who are employees are often required to wear a compulsory uniform. This is usually a branded uniform.

If you purchased a compulsory uniform, then you may be able to claim this amount.

You may also claim the cost of cleaning a compulsory uniform. You can claim a cleaning deduction even if you washed the clothes yourself at home.

4. Education and training 

Education for care workers commonly includes training courses such as first aid and CPR. It can also include tertiary qualifications such as Certificate IVs in Community Services, Disability or Aged Care.

If you attend these education courses whilst working as a care worker you may be able to claim the amounts you paid to attend these courses.

5. Certificates and checks

Care workers will often be required by their employer, client or job platform to obtain one or more certificates. The most common certificate is a police check.


Care workers who work with children will generally need to get a working with children check.

Out of pocket costs that you paid yourself to obtain these certificates may be deducted.

6. Consumables

Commonly care workers will purchase items to help them do their job.

These items may include stationary for planning activities with clients, hand sanitiser to maintain hygiene whilst with clients, sunscreen for sun protection when outside with a client.

If you are not reimbursed for these expenses you may also claim these as a deduction in your return.

7. Working from home expenses equipment

Care workers commonly do some work at home. This may include submitting your timesheets, researching activities for your client as well calling and emailing your clients or employer.

For the hours you work at home, you may be able to claim a deduction to cover expenses such as electricity, cooling and heating.

Having a dedicated work area at home (e.g. in a spare room) increases the amount that can be deducted.  In the 2020-21 financial year a deduction can be claimed even without a dedicated work area at home. 

To claim a deduction for these expenses, all you need to do is estimate the number of hours worked from home. This is then multiplied by the relevant rates for the period the hours were worked. 

8. Mobile phone and internet bills

Care workers commonly use their phone to do their job. Some may also use a computer connected to their internet at home.

Mobile phones and computers are often used for making calls to employers or clients, searching for new jobs on platforms like Careseekers, Mable or CareHive, researching activities to do with clients and submitting timesheets.

If mobile phones and computers are used for work purposes, then a deduction for the mobile phone and internet bills may be made. If also used for personal use, then only a portion of these bills can be deducted.

9. Computer equipment

In addition to the deductions for mobile phone bills and internet, care workers may also be able to claim the cost of purchasing their mobile phone and computer.

Care workers who work as a sole trader may deduct the cost of purchases of mobile phones and computers during the 2021 financial year (i.e. 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021).

Care workers who are employees may deduct the cost of purchasing a mobile phone or computer if they purchased these items of equipment for less than $300.

For computer equipment that costs over $300, employees may still be able to claim a deduction for the depreciation.

10. Tax Accountant 

Some care workers may have used the services of a tax accountant like Airtax to help them prepare and lodge their tax return in the prior year.

The amount paid to the tax accountant can be claimed as a deduction in the year that it is paid.

Vialto Partners' Airtax Services

Terms          Privacy         Cookies          Legal         Linking policy         Site provider

© 2022 Vialto Partners. All rights reserved. Please see for further details.